1. Book early and don’t rely on Uber
- Obviously flights are cheaper if you book early. Fly to Barcelona (BCN). Don’t fly to Girona or even Reus. We met a startup which spent 10 hours travelling in the bus from the airport!
- There a 2 fair venues: the main MWC venue (Fira Gran Via) and the 4YFN / startup venue (Fira Gran Via). Both venues are 20-30 min apart and connected via a shuttle bus!
- Book a hotel or airbnb close to a metro station. Taxi’s are often on strike during MWC and there is no Uber or Cabify (semi-illegal, but that’s another story). Preferably stay close to the new line (L9S) connecting directly the airport and MWC venue (Fira Gran Via) or the red line (L1) connecting the 4YFN startup venue (Fira Montjuïc).
2. Be different than the other 1000 startups
- This is even more important if you have a booth or a stand. Stick out from the thousands of other startups by engaging the audience. For example, make use of trends: What about including a selfie corner with props + your hashtag at your stand? Have games visitors can engage with. Get creative!
- Be on stage! You multiply your audience if you present on stage. You can apply as a speaker, participate in startup competitions like the 4YFN Awards or spontaneously sign up for shark tank like pitches or elevator pitches at work shops.
- Join “visibility events”: For example, ‘pitch the press’ with speed dating with journalists (usually you can just sign up at the venue). There are dedicated discovery areas, investor & meeting zones. Or join this year’s innovator’s coffee tables.
3. Go to the unofficial side events & networking parties
- First there are booth parties, usually towards the end of each day. Great way to network with a specific industry.
- A lot of companies sponsor side events. Most deals are made there.
- Find here an overview of the best MWC parties & 4YFN networking events! Sign up early, in particular the free tickets go fast!
4. Target your audience & set goals
- Be sure why you attend, what you want to get out of it and set SMART goals on what you want to achieve. Time will fly!
- There are not only potential customers, investors and partners, but also lot’s of talents at Mobile World Congress. Make use if it!
- Follow up with your leads after the show. That is when you will convert them!
5. Enjoy Barcelona and have fun!
The sun usually comes out although it is February. Stroll along the beach promenade, see the Sagrada Familia and enjoy the delicious local food!
Top 5: What to expect from this year's Mobile World Congress:
Looking for the best MWC networking events & 4YFN parties? Check our next blog post: